I hated Brussels sprouts, very deeply, for a very long time.
I remember them being bitter and disgusting.
Then I became an adult, and realized that I could make them myself, and that if I cooked them with bacon, they would probably be pretty good.
Then I started making this recipe, and found out that I was right.
- 1 lb Brussel Sprouts – trimmed and halved
- 1 slice of bacon (or more – it’s up to you) – diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Place your oven rack in the center of the oven, and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the ingredients: Trim the Brussels sprouts by cutting off the stems and then slicing them in half down the middle lengthwise. Dice the slice of bacon into small pieces.
- Place the sprouts, bacon and salt and pepper into a mixing bowl, and then toss it all with the olive oil. If you like some additional spice, I’d suggest adding a pinch of cayenne pepper or chipotle chili powder at this point as well.
- Scoop the mixture onto a baking sheet (like for cookies) and – if you want extra crispy sprouts – flip them all so they’re cut-side down.
- Place the tray in the oven on that center rack, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the sprouts from the oven, place then in a serving bowl, and give them a dusting of salt (and maybe a tiny splash of oil if they look dry).
- Serve and enjoy!