This simple grilled chicken recipe is a family favorite. It evolved out of a sort of camping recipe, and tastes just as good when made over an open fire as it does when cooked on the grill.
The red wine in the marinade gives the drummies a deep purple hue, and keeps them moist, which is especially helpful if you happen to overcook them in the dark on an open flame, which I have definitely done before… more than a few times.
Sure, it’s not exactly gourmet, but it’s a simple crowd-pleasing meal that you can prepare ahead of time and do on the cheap.
Oh, and did I mention that the chicken is purple?
- 1.5 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 onion – diced
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Clean the drumsticks, and pat them dry with paper towels, and place them in a big bowl or large ziploc bag.
- Toss the drummies in the oil (to coat) and a dusting of salt and pepper.
- Add all of the other ingredients (red wine, soy sauce, honey, onion and garlic) to the bowl or bag, and toss it all together.
- Make sure the drumsticks are submerged in the liquid, and refrigerate them for at least two – and up to 24 – hours.
- When you’re ready to cook, remove the chicken from the fridge, and prepare the grill by preheating it on medium-high.
- When the grill is ready, dredge the drummies from the bag, and cook them over that medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes, turn them over, and continue for another 5-6 minutes, for a total of 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, or move the drummies to the top rack of your grill (if you have one), and finish them for another 10 minutes, or until an inserted meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- Enjoy with your favorite BBQ sides, and – of course – a cold beer!